Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

LiveJournal becomes the last to know

So, last night Steven and I went to a deathrock night in San Antonio. We had a fabulous time. We also ended up leaving just as storm was blowing down from Austin. We hit about fifteen minutes of bad hail, which we spent sheltered under a gas station awning. Hail passed, and we went on. I eventually fell asleep in the passenger seat, as is my wont at 2:00 am.

I woke up to the sensation of the tires losing contact with the road. Steven cursing. The car spinning. My eyes never opened for this. I doubt it lasted more than a few heartbeats. Next came an impact. I shouted at this point--whether it was articulate or not I'm not sure. What I was thinking was mostly What the fuck?! Immediately after the first impact came a second. This one hurt. I yelled something again. A short time of confusion and annoyance followed, and then the car finally stopped moving and my eyes opened to rain and a wet divider and the remains of the passenger side airbag and the headlights of oncoming traffic. Luckily we had spun into a wide grassy median ditch, safely out of the way of any other cars. My right arm hurt like hell. ETA: I forgot a telling detail: the burning chemical smell of airbag propellant.

We sat there for a short span of time. Steven asked if I was okay; I said my arm hurt. At this point I thought to test the arm, and determined that it wasn't broken. I suspect I'd had a leg propped on the dashboard, so I was extra lucky that wasn't broken either. Northbound traffic kept moving.

Steven tried moving the car, but it was firmly wedged in the ditch. At this point I called our babysitter with what was probably a shocky warning that we would be late. This was, thanks to DST, at 3:30 am. After that... Reader, I updated Facebook. Yeah. Sorry. But then I thought to call roadside assistance! Steven talked to roadside assistance, and they eventually transferred him to 911. Several minutes and many cars has passed at this point, and finally one person stopped to ask if we were all right. By then sirens were inbound.

Cops and a fire truck showed up to determine that we were neither dead nor drunk nor on fire. I hadn't moved from the passenger seat at all, being a bit shocky, in pain, wedged in a ditch, and having foolishly decided that I didn't need my jacket that night. I got to sign waivers declining a trip to the hospital. The cops seemed a bit bemused by my torn fishnet and shiny glam goth pants. Eventually I crawled out of the car, and some nice officers put us in the back of their cruiser. They took us to the nearest sheltered spot, asked more questions, consulted about tow trucks. It was now 4:00 am and we were on the southernmost edge of Austin, so I decided not to wake up any of my friends. The cops called us a cab. The cab dispatcher said something that translated to "It's 4:00 am on the first Saturday of SXSW. Good fucking luck." And because of those conditions, the cops were getting a lot of calls at this point. So eventually they dropped us off at the nearest 24-hour fast food place and left us waiting for the cab.

We sat there drinking bad coffee listening to the absolute worst canned music selection ever for another hour. The cab was not coming. Steven called them again. Finally I broke down and called my parents, because someone had to relieve our poor babysitter. My parents returned the babysitter and stayed with the kids. At some point I finally checked a mirror and determined that my arm was friction-burned as well as bruised, and that my artfully torn fishnet top now had authentic battle damage.

6:00 am came. The cab did not. So finally my parents came to retrieve us. My father returned us to our house at 7:30 am. I wandered around in a daze, taking pictures of the fishnet pattern burned into my arm. I finally went to bed around 8:00, very gingerly.

Four hours later I got up to go with Steven to check on the car. It had been towed--to where, we're not entirely certain. Hopefully this will be sorted out quickly. Right now I'm upright only by the power of caffeine, and the fact that it hurts like hell to lie down. I did make one sensible attempt to go to an urgent care clinic, but the one that was open was out of network, so I'll call my doctor tomorrow. I did not go to work today.

I am very lucky, not only to not be hurt and to have not injured anyone else, but to have had people to call, people asking if I was okay, and people to email at 4:30 in the morning from the back of a police car.


( 30 comments — Leave a comment )
Mar. 10th, 2013 10:40 pm (UTC)
Glad you're both okay, and it wasn't any worse.
Mar. 10th, 2013 10:54 pm (UTC)
Yikes, glad you're relatively unscathed.
Mar. 10th, 2013 11:06 pm (UTC)
Holy crap D: I'm glad you're both OK, and I hope the car will also be fine.
Mar. 10th, 2013 11:18 pm (UTC)
That's really scary. I'm glad you're both ok.
Mar. 10th, 2013 11:21 pm (UTC)
I heartily endorse the continued okay-ness of you both.

Playing 'where's my car' sucks, hope it turns up soon.
Mar. 10th, 2013 11:47 pm (UTC)
I am really really glad you're both still okay.
Mar. 10th, 2013 11:57 pm (UTC)
How scary!

I'm so glad you're both okay!
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:00 am (UTC)
Holy crap, Amanda! Delighted that you're both okay, but even so... Sheesh. Please not to have any more accidents?
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:03 am (UTC)
Wow. Sucks that it happened, but very glad you're OK.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:09 am (UTC)
Stars! And garters! Ye gads! I'm exceeding pleased this was more like an adventure than a disaster.

Also, hey, good description. Just sayin'.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:13 am (UTC)
Thanks. I felt I should write that all down for posterity.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:13 am (UTC)
Agh. Glad you're both all right.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:28 am (UTC)
I'm so glad you're alive. Please take care.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:49 am (UTC)
Here's hoping everything resolves well--but I'm glad you weren't hurt.
Mar. 11th, 2013 01:40 am (UTC)
now, thats a date night! Hope that you are all recovering well, and the car insnt to bad off either.

Mar. 11th, 2013 02:51 am (UTC)
Yikes! I'm glad you're both ok.
Mar. 11th, 2013 03:31 am (UTC)
I've been saying this for myself for the past few days -- since the biopsy results came back -- 'yeah, it's been an awful no good bad thing that's happened, but thank god you've the luck of the devil for not being dead yet'

I am so glad that you're not dead in a ditch :)
Mar. 11th, 2013 06:51 am (UTC)
You like this comment.
Mar. 11th, 2013 04:17 am (UTC)
Whoo, Jesus! So glad you're basically all right, both of you.
Mar. 11th, 2013 06:50 am (UTC)
Sending you good wishes for your continued wellbeing from across The Pond. *hugs*
Mar. 11th, 2013 10:57 am (UTC)
Holy cow. I'm glad you're mostly okay.
Mar. 11th, 2013 12:55 pm (UTC)
Sounds like a rough night, and the no cab part is definitely insult on injury, but I'm glad you and Steven are (mostly) okay.
Mar. 11th, 2013 01:36 pm (UTC)
Glad that you're both okay!
Mar. 11th, 2013 01:57 pm (UTC)
Thank goodness everybody is okay. I am so sorry.
Mar. 11th, 2013 03:26 pm (UTC)
Eep! I missed this on Facebook, I guess. Glad you're only mildly scathed!
Mar. 11th, 2013 04:03 pm (UTC)
*hugs* Glad you're okay in the relative sense of things.
Mar. 12th, 2013 12:21 am (UTC)
Urk. Glad you're both in one piece. Well, each.
Mar. 12th, 2013 01:42 am (UTC)
Yikes. Glad you are mostly okay and hope you get some rest soon.
Mar. 13th, 2013 04:13 am (UTC)
I am very, very glad you are all right.
Mar. 19th, 2013 02:36 am (UTC)
Eek. Glad to hear that all is well, as far as you are concerned.
( 30 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

February 2017


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow